14 Tips a Hiker Should always Remember
- Train before Hand: Hiking around in Sikkim Darjeeling or Nepal Himalayas involves hiking in high altitude covering at an average of 10 Km of trekking per day. Therefore, it is important to train well before embarking on this expedition. Training includes long walks, running, cycling, swimming or any other physical activity that will improve your stamina and fitness.
- Acclimatize Well: It is essential to acclimatize properly while trekking to higher altitude to prevent altitude sickness. Take regular breaks and spend extra nights at higher altitudes to give your body time to adjust.
- Pack Your Bag accordingly: Make sure to bring along warm clothes, woolen caps, woolen gloves, sun hat and waterproof Gears, comfortable trekking shoes, and other essential items needed in the Himalayan Mountains. But after having said that, remember a porter or a Pony will carry your baggage try to be human enough to keep the weight of the Baggage at 12 to 15 Kilograms.
- Carry the Essentials: It is essential to include in your baggage first aid kit, water bottle, water purifying tablets, sunscreen lotion, Vaseline, sun glasses, spikes for use on the snow etc.
- Respect the Local Culture: The Himalayas is home to the local people and they have their own unique culture and traditions. Respect their beliefs and culture, and be mindful of the impact that you will have on their environment.
- Stay Hydrated: It is important to stay hydrated at higher altitude to avoid altitude sickness. Therefore, drink plenty of water and avoid Alcohol and Caffeine.
- Take Your Time: Hiking and Trekking in the Himalayas from Nepal to Sikkim and Darjeeling is not a race. So take your time and enjoy the scenery and do not push yourself too hard.
- Prepare for the weather: The weather in the Himalayas is very unpredictable. Therefore, be prepared for rain, snow and cold weather.
- Be flexible: Weather and other conditions can change very quickly in the Mountains. Therefore, be flexible with your plans and be prepared to adjust your itinerary accordingly.
- Keep Your Feet Comfortable: Get yourself a pair of light ankle high trekking boots. The Ankle cuff on the trekking boots should not be too high to avoid damaging your achilles. Try these boots on early before you actually embark on a hiking trip to Nepal, Sikkim or Darjeeling. Break into them early so that you do not get blisters while on the trekking trail.
- Get a proper Supportive Socks: Get socks that are designed for trekking and hiking long distance. These socks are well worth investing in to give your feet that extra protection.
- Train on a Range of Terrain: You will need to tackle a variety of terrain while trekking around in Nepal, Sikkim or Darjeeling, from river side trail to steep paths up a mountain trail filled with snow. Therefore, mix up your training with long walks on a variety of terrain.
- Please remember to keep your muscles in good shape: Remember to stretch after your long walks. You should focus on your calves, quads, hamstrings, hips and your back.
- Practice with your Backpack: Your main baggage will be carried Porters/Pack Animals. But you will need to carry a day pack with you to put in all your essential items, like camera, water bottle, your personal medical kit, an umbrella, light fleece and a wind stopper.
Some Best Trekking Trails in Sikkim Darjeeling Nepal Himalayas
Four Best Trekking Trails in Sikkim