Climbing Frey Peak in Sikkim
Frey Peak 5830m tall is an exquisite peak in Sikkim opened only recently for the purpose of climbing and expedition in Sikkim to the outside world. Frey peak lies in the Chaurikhang valley close to Rathong Glacier surrounded by some imposing peaks, like the Kabru Sister’s, Rathong and Kokthang Peak.
Frey Peak expedition starts with a trek from Yuksom and follows the Goechala Pass Trekking trail till Dzongri. From here the trail to Frey Peak turns left towards the Himalayan Mountaineering Base Camp. The trail is mostly rocky with lots of ice on the gaps. From the Frey Peak Base Camp it’s a climb through the absorbing Frey Glacier that offers stunning landscape and allows the climbers to relish the undulating beauty of Sikkim Himalayas.
Frey Peak – A Brief History
Frey Peak is named after the renowned mountaineer Goerge Frey who perished while attempting to Climb Frey Peak with Tenzing Norgay. The Ice Axe and crampons used by George Frey still lies at the Base of Frey Peak as a memorial
- Type of Trek : Moderate to Rigorous / Technical
- Minimum No. of Participants : 2 Pax.
- Total No. of Days : 16 Days.
- Style of Trek: Camping/Expedition.
- Starting Point: Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal Border.
- Ending Point : Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal Border.
- Best Season : April – June & September to December.
- Availability : Only private Expedition can be arranged for a minimum of two persons on request on a date of your choice.
Brief Itinerary for Frey Peak Expedition in Sikkim
Day 1: Arrive at Bagdogra Airport. Drive to Gangtok(5 Hrs).Hotel(B/B only).
Day 2: Acclimitization day in Gangtok / Procurring the Permit. Hotel(B/B only).
Day 3: Drive to Yuksom(1760m/5Hrs).Lodge.
Day 4: Trek to Bakhim(2975m/11Km).Camp.
Day 5: Trek to Dzongri(3950m/9Km).Camp.
Day 6: Rest Day in Dzongri/Acclimitization Day. Day 7: Trek to Ghatey Khola(3860m/9Km).Camp.
Day 8: Trek to Chaurikhang and set Up Base Camp.Camp.
Day 9: Acclimatization Day. Recee of the Summit & Back to Base Camp. Day 10: Keep an extra Day in case of Bad weather
Day 11: Summit Peak. Return to BC & Back to Ghatey Khola.Camp.
Day12: Return Trek to Dzongri. Camp.
Day13: Return Trek to Tchoka. Camp.
Day14: Return Trek to Yuksom. Lodge.
Day15: Drive to Kalimpong. Hotel / Home Stay.
Day16: Drive to Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal Border for Final Departure.
- Frey Peak Climbing Cost : US$3450 per Person
- Peak Fees : US$500 (for a group of two persons ).
- Thereafter US$75 per additional member
- Kanchenjunga National Park Fees(Included in the Cost) : US$250.
- Fees for liaison Officer US$200 ( Included in the Cost).
- Insurance for Pack Animals and Support Team (Included in the Cost).
- Indian National kindly enquire within for costs & other information.
Compulsary Insurance for all members
- Team Members – US$4300 / IRs.3,00,000 per person
- Camp Crews – US$1500 / IRs.1,00,000 per person
- Porters – US$715/ IRs.50,000 per person
- Pack Animals – US$300 / IRs.20,000 per animal
—– o0o —–
TOUR COST INCLUDES :
- Twin Share Hotel Accommodation in Gangtok in Standard Hotel including Breakfast.
- Lodge accommodation – twin share in Yuksom with common washroom & Rest room including breakfasts.
- Kanchenjunga National Park Fees (US$250 )
- 2 Sherpa Climbing Guide
- Twin share tent with mattress during camping/trekking/Expedition.
- Fully organized trek services with guide, porters, camping equipment.
- All fixed three meals everyday during trekking/Camping/Expedition.
- All road transport as per itinerary by jeep.
- Service of an English speaking guide.
- Entrance fees to monuments visited.
- Trekking Permit & Inner Line Permits for
- Climbing Equipment
- a). Climbing Rope – 100m
- b). Fixed Rope – 200m
- c). Carabiner -35 pcs
- d). Plain Carabiner – 16 pcs
- e). Rock Pitons – 8 pcs
- f). Ice Pitons – 15 pcs
- g). Snow Bar – 4 pcs.
- h). Harness Set
- i). Jumar
Insurance for Porters, Pack Animals, Cook, Guide & other support Team.
- 1). Camp Crews – US$1500 / IRs.1,00,000 per person
- 2).Porters – US$715/ IRs.50,000 per person
- 3). Pack Animals – US$300 / IRs.20,000 per animals
DOES NOT INCLUDE :
- Insurance for Climbing Member
- Sleeping bag; personal clothing/equipment.
- Lunches and dinners during hotel stays.
- Bottled or alcoholic drinks.
- Tips, client insurance, evacuation costs.
- Any expenses of personal natur
Note: The above itinerary for Frey peak climbing in Sikkim is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of the trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
(All relevant Terms & Conditions apply)