Rachela Pass Trek – A short Trek in Neora Valley Reserve Park
Rachela Pass Trek also called the Neora Valley Trek is located in Neora Valley National Park in Kalimpong District in Darjeeling Hills . A Bio Diversity Hotspot teeming with a huge variety of Birds, Mammals and unexplored forest cover. Rachela Pass Trek is an absolute visual treat & is famous among Bird Watchers, Botanists and solitary trekkers.
At an altitude of 3152 Rachela Pass is the highest point on this trek. It is also the tri-junction between West Bengal, Sikkim & Bhutan. Rachela Pass corridor was actually a trade route between Sikkim and Bhutan.
There are two options for the Neora Valley Trek to start or end. One can start the Rachela Pass Trek from Lava & end in Mulkharka. A small beautiful laid back hamlet at the border with Sikkim. One can also end the Neora Valley Trek in Samsing in Dooars.
Rachela Pass Trek starts with a drive to Lava which is a good three to four hours of driving from Bagdogra Airport or from New Jalpaiguri Rail Station. This trek can also be done in the reverse manner.
Trekking inside the Neora Valley Reserve Park
Established in the year 1986 in Kalimpong District of West Bengal, is a UNESCO world heritage site. With an amazing bio-diversity & pristine eco-system Neora Valley Reserve Park is home to a number of endangered plants, animals and birds. With an area of 89Square Kilometer it is the richest bio-diversity park in India.
Neora Valley Reserve Park is also home to the famous Rachela Pass Trek. And when you have a trek route that passes through these forests, you can experience the best of nature and her bounties. Also known as the Neora Valley Trek, this is a short trek in Darjeeling Hills that winds through virgin forests of bamboo and pine that are hardly explored. Forests are thick and dense and you can really feel the silence of the forest here.
Rachela Pass Trek – Famous for ?
From Rachela pass, surrounded by Rhododendron trees, you can get mesmerising views of the Kanchenjunga Range, Jelep La pass & Nathu La Pass the gateway to Tibet, Singalila Range & Chola range. The Neora Valley Trek is an unexplored trail through Neora Valley National Park and is actually a true gem and a perfect opportunity to get close to nature.
Kind of Trek
Rachela Pass Trek is basically a camping trek though lodges are available at few places inside the Neora Valley Reserve park.
Best time to Visit this Park
Rachela Pass Trek is an all seasons Trek and is approachable the year round. But after having said that it is to be remembered that the Park will will be closed to visitors from June to mid September as thats the window for the breeding season.
March to May is a good time to venture on this trek when the weather is pleasing and the forests of the Neora Valley Reserve Park will be teeming with a huge variety of Birds and the forest alight with different flowering plants.
September to December is also a good time for this when the skies are clear for the mountain views.
TRIP FACTS :
- Minimum No. of Participants : 2 Persons.
- Best Season: March – May & October to May.
- Trek Grading: Easy to Moderate.
- Duration: 7 Nights / 8 Days
- Maximum Altitude: Rachela Pass (3152m/10338ft )
- Start / End Point: Bagdogra Airport/Nepal Border/NJP Railway Station.
- Tour Availability: Join a group trek (dates given below)
- Customized private Treks can also be arranged for a minimum of two persons on request on a date of your choice.
RACHELA PASS TREK ITINERARY
Day 1: Arrive at Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal Border.
Meet Local Guide & Drive to Kalimpong. HOTEL(B/B ONLY).
Day 2: AM : Visit the Durpin Monastery & Kalimpong Bazaar & Drive to Lava(2100m). HOTEL(B/B ONLY).
Day 3: Rachela Pass Trek Starts. Trek Lava to Zero Point ( 12Km)
Day 4: Zero Point to Rachela Pass –Alubari-14Km
Day 5: Rachela Pass to Bada Ramitey -7Km
Day 6: Bada Ramitey to Mulkharka (14Km). End of Neora Valley Trek.
Day 7: Drive to Back to Kalimpong. Overnight Hotel.
Day 8: Drive to Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal Border for Final Departure.
Sikkim Extension: 3 to 7-Day Extention Tours Available – Gangtok, Rumtek Monastery, Pelling, Tsango Lake, North Sikkim etc.
Rachela Pass Trek Cost :
- 2-3 Persons US$ 630 per person
- 4-6 Persons US$ 590 per person
- 7-10 Persons US$ 550 per person
- Indian Nationals please feel free to enquire within for quotes in IRupees
Neora Valley Trek Cost Includes :
- Transport (Where applicable) on Jeeps / Vans / Cars.
- Airport Pick Up and Drop.
- Trekking support with an English Speaking Guide, Cook, Yaks, Porters etc.
- Twin Share Accommodation in Tents while Trekking.
- Twin Share Rooms in Hotel including breakfast.
- Fixed Three Meals a day while Trekking/ Tour.
- Fees for :- a).Trekking Permit.
b). National Park
c).National Monuments etc.
COST DOES NOT INCLUDE:-
- Lunches and Dinners During Hotel Stays.
- Alcohol, Telephone, Laundry.
- Any Evacuation Cost in Case Of Emergency.
- Clients Insurance.
- we do not provide Bottled Mineral water during the Trek, however we do provide Boiled drinking water.
- Sleeping Bags.
Note: The above given Rachela Pass Trek itinerary is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of the trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
(All relevant Terms & Conditions apply).