Reason why Annapurna Base Camp Trek is the finest Base Camp Trek in Nepal Himalayas
Annapurna Base Camp Trek also referred to as the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek is the most popular and one of the finest base camp treks in Nepal. Sorrounded on all sides by high mountains, the Annapurna Base Camp Trek route meanders through different climatic and topographical conditions. From paddy fields to pine forests to the snow fields of the Annapurna Base Camp, the Annapurna Base Camp Trek brings you face to face with the Annapurna Masiff (8091m) the tenth highest mountain in the world in a period of just five days and this is amazing.
Annapurna Sanctuary is a glacial basin at an altitude of 4130m sorrounded on all sides by 8000m Annapurna Range and there is only one trekking trail between Hiunchuli & Machapuchare leading into the Annapurna Sanctuary. The trail goes through a combination of high mountains and deep valleys giving way to unique eco-system to the Annapurna Sanctuary.
The Southern face of the Annapurna Sanctuary receives more rainfall and as a result is covered by dense bamboo and rhododendron forest, where as the north face, which lies close to the border with Tibet receives meagre rainfall and as a result is arid and barren. Sorrounded on all sides by high mountains, the Annapurna Sanctuary receives only seven hours of sunlight in a day.
What to expect at the Annapurna Base Camp
The Annapurna Base Camp is a small settlement consisting of a few lodges just opposite the Annapurna glacier at the foot of Annapurna Masiff. Once at the Annapurna Base Camp and from the edge of the Annapurna Glacier one will come face to face with a 360degree view of the Annapurna massif, Annapurna I, Annapurna III, Annapurna South, Gangapurna, Gandharvachuli and Machapuchare.
Trekking inside the Annapurna Conservation Area.
The Annapurna Base Camp Trek trail goes through Rhododendron, Bamboo and Fern Forests. While trekking from Dhampus one goes through Rhododendron, Bamboo and Fern Forest till Sinuwa. From here its mostly Bamboo and tall oak trees until Deaurali. The Forest gives way to tall grasses and a few Rhododendron trees. when finally at Machapucharae Base Camp the vegetation becomes alpine and only tall grasses can be seen lined up till the Annapurna Base Camp.
The Annapurna Conservation area has a varied population of wild life too, it is home to about 1200 species of flowering plants, hundred variety of mammals, four hundred and fifty variety of birds, reptiles and amphibians.
A look into local people and Its culture
The Gurung Tribes who inhabit the Annapurna Region consider the Annapurna Sanctuary very sacred. They consider Machapuchare as the abode of Lord Shiva, a hindu deity. Till recently women, Eggs and meat were not allowed into the sanctuary. It was only in the late 1950’s trekkers started trekking into this area.
There are lodges run by local families and every lodge can cater to about twenty to twenty five people at a time. Local food ( Dal, Bhat & Vegetable curry) cooked in Nepal style is offered in all these lodges, though other items can also be served on order. On interreacting with the local people from the lodges and with the porters will definitely give you an insight into the culture of the Nepali People residing in these areas.
How Difficult is Annapurna Base Camp Trek ?
With a total distance of about sixty eight Kilometres to cover both ways this trek is graded as Moderate to Strenuous Trek that goes to a maximum altitude of 4130m at the Annapurna Base Camp. At an average one has to cover about ten kilometres and the longest trek is on the return trek from Annapurna Base Camp to Bamboo and that is fifteen Kilometres.
While trekking in the Annapurna Region the trek route drops down to the river bed and starts climbing again. This loss and gain in the altitude affects the trekkers. Therefore we at Farouttrek have designed the itinerary keeping all these points in view. You will need to train for atleast a month prior to the beginning of the trek.
Participants carry only their day Pack with their personal items in them & walk at their own pace. Main baggage will be carried by porters. Accommodation and food will be provided in lodges run by local families. Lunch will be provided in Tea house along the Trek route.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek – Is it Safe ?
Risk is a part of Adventure and trekking is an adventure filled with certain amount of risk. But we at Farouttrek we have expreinced guides to take care of you. We also do carry a basic medical kit with us. If in an extreme situation there are helicopter services for emergency evacuation. Most of the lodges are well connected by phones therefore communication is not a problem.
What is the best time to Trek ?
Annapurna Base Camp trek can be undertaken anytime of the year, though March to May and October to early December are the best time to trek in this area.
- Trek Grade: Moderate to Difficult
- Duration: 09 Nights/11 Days
- Maximum Sleeping Altitude: 4130m/13,550ft(Annapurna Base Camp).
- Maximum Hiking Altitude: 4130m/13,550ft(Annapurna Base Camp).
- Best Season: Mar-June and Oct-Dec.
- Trek availability: Join a Group Dates Shown Below.
- Customized private Treks can also be arranged for a minimum of two persons on request on a date of your choice.
ANNAPURNA BASE CAMP TREK IN NEPAL ITINERARY
Day 01: Drive Kathmandu to Pokhara(6Hrs). Overnight Hotel in Pokhara (B/B only).
Day 02: Drive to Phedi (1Hr). Annapurna Base Camp Trek Starts. Trek to Dhampus(1700m/2Hrs) to Pothana (1890m/1Hr). Overnight Lodge at Pothana.
Day 03: Trek to Bichok (2080m) to Tolka (1700m) to Landruk(1640m/4Hrs). Overnight Lodge in Landruk
Day 04: Trek Landruk to New Bridge(1340m) to Jhinu(1780m) to Chomrong(2210m/5Hrs). Overnight Lodge in Chomrong.
Day 05: Trek Chomrong to Lower Sinuwa to Upper Sinuwa(2360m) to Kuldighar(2540m) to Bamboo(2310m) to Dovan(2600m/5Hrs). Overnight Lodge in Dovan.
Day 06: Trek Dovan to Himalaya(2873m) to Deorali (3200m) to Machapuchare Base Camp (3700m/ 6Hrs). Overnight Lodge MBC.
Day 07: Trek to Annapurna Base Camp(4130m/2Hrs). Day of exploration to Annapurna Base Camp. Overnight Lodge at Annapurna Base Camp.
Day 08: Trek Annapurna Base Camp to Dovan(2600m). Overnight Lodge.
Day 09: Trek Dovan to Koomroong Danda(2260m/5Hrs). Lunch at Kymrung Khola. Overnight Lodge. 5 Hours.
Day 10: Trek Koomroong Danda to Gandruk(1990m/1Hr). Drive Back to Pokhara ( 3Hrs Drive)
Day 11: Drive Back to Kathmandu. End of Annapurna Base Camp Trek.
—– o0o —–
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek Cost: US$870/person
- Indian Nationals Kindly write to us for quotes in Indian Rupees
—– o0o —–
TREK COST INCLUDES:
- Transport in Tourist Bus( Kathmandu to Pokhara).
- Basic accommodation at local lodges on twin sharing basis.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) included for the duration of the trek.
- Services of experienced English speaking local trekking guide.
- Porters to carry luggage while on trek (1 porter for 2 persons).
- Insurance for trekking staff, guides, porters etc.,
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) fees/National Park entrance fees & TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System) registration fees.
- Departure Tax where applicable (domestic/international flights).
- Domestic Kathmandu/Pokhara/Kathmandu airfare (if requested by clients).
- Transport from Pokhara to Kathmandu at the end of the Trek.
- Travel/Trekking/Medical insurance.
- Rescue operations by helicopter.
- Excess baggage charges.
- Mineral water, boiled drinking water, soft drinks and any alcoholic beverages, tips and any personal expenses.
- Nepal Visa Fees.
- Any services in Kathmandu/Nepal (hotels, transport, etc.).
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu.
- Any cost arising from political disturbances, strikes, cancellation of flights, deviation in program, delays due to landslides/ road blockage, or otherwise
—– o0o —–
NEPAL TOURIST VISA
- Nepal visa is readily available on arrival at the International Airport
- in Kathmandu and all other entry points to Nepal.
- 2 passport photos will be required.
- Single Entry visa: US$ 30 per visa (valid for 60 days).
- Multiple Entry visa: US$ 80 per visa (valid for 150 days).
- Nepal Visas are also available in all Nepalese Embassies and Consulates.
- Indian Nationals do not need Nepali Visa to Travel inside Nepal.
—– o0o —–
Note: The above itinerary is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
(All Relevant Terms & Conditions Apply).