Sandakphu Phalut Trek – Trekking on the Spine of the Singalila Ridge
Sandakphu Phalut Trek following a major section of the Singalila Ridge is an ambitious 90 Km, six to seven days Trek. Hikers may require a days time to acclimatize as the trailhead that is Sandakphu and Phalut is 12,600 feet above sea level. But the views from Sandakphu and Phalut are worth the time and effort. The mesmerizing Himalayan scenery alone makes this trek a treat on its own, and adding a bird watching programme can really sweeten the hike.
The terrain is suitable even for novice hikers with few uphill climbs and well defined trekking trail. But with miles of pure Himalayan beauty and panoramic mountain views even seasoned trekkers are likely to be attracted.
If you are short on time and the six days Singalila trek is a bit too long than the short four days Sandakphu Trek is an idle fit. This trek climbs up to Sandakphu and drops down by way of Gurdung to end the trek in Rimbik.
Trekking the oldest Trek route in India
It is being said that trekking originated in India in Darjeeling as far as eighty years ago and Darjeeling has one of the most spectacular and the oldest treks to offer, Sandakphu Phalut Trek. Trek Darjeeling’s famous mountain trail with 180 Degree view of the lofty Himalayan mountains which will accompany from the very first day. Manebhanjyang Sandakphu Phalut Loop which forms the international border between India & Nepal has long been used as a Trekking Route.
Sandakphu Phalut Trek – Good For ?
- Great Mountain Views – There are trek routes in the Himalayas from where you can catch a glimpse of an eight thousand meter peak, but Singalila Ridge Trek in Darjeeling, gives you more than just a trek. It provides unparalleled views of the Himalayan mountains from Everest in Nepal to Kanchenjunga in Sikkim to the Chomolhari Range in Bhutan.
- Non Technical Moderate to Easy Trek – With no technical difficulty and with only a few uphill climb on a well defined trekking trail the Sandakhu Phalut Trek is fit for beginners and as well for seasoned trekkers.
- Comfortable Tea House Trek – With an average distance of 10Km trekking per day It’s a long but rewarding day hike, with the added bonus that you get to sleep in a proper bed and get a good meal at the end of the day
- All Seasons Trek – Singalila Trek is an all seasons trek with the trek route accessible throughout the year – except from June to September when the Singalila National Park is closed to visitors because of the breeding season. Otherwise, the Sandakphu Phalut Trek is accessible the year round.
- One good thing about the Sandakphu Phalut Trek is that, in the absence of technical difficulty on this trek, it is therefore, equally suitable for beginners and seasoned trekkers alike.
- Even though the Singalila Ridge starts getting snowfall from December the trek route is open and is accessible even during the winter months. For this reason, Sandakphu Phalut trek can be classified as a winter Trek too.
Experience Trekking along the Indo-Nepal Border
Sandakphu Phalut trek presents a unique experience of trekking along the Indo Nepal Border. Trek route jig jags between India and Nepal constantly. The constant shifting of tracks between India Nepal border also makes the this trek a unique cultural experience.
So when you get to trek on this route, Darjeeling Singalila Trek becomes an experience that can never be paralleled and will also surely enable you to discover the Sublime Himalayan interiors unmarred by mankind.
Sandakphu Phalut Trek – What to Expect.
Sandakphu and Phalut are the two highest hills in the Singalila Ridge in Darjeeling and also in State of West Bengal. The only two places in the entire Himalayas from where you can view the four highest mountains in the world.
Besides the spectacular views of the Himalayas, Sandakphu Phalut Trek is also famous for seasonal wildflower blooms and birding too. With a large variety of Rhododendrons covering the Singalila National Park, Singalila Ridge is considered one of the most beautiful places to be in Indian Himalayas, especially during spring season, that is from March to May.
Trekking inside the Singalila National Park
Charms of the Himalayas along with its mysteries gradually unfold as Sandakphu Phalut Trek cuts through dense forests and verdant landscape, through miles of green-carpeted meadows and sleepy hamlets. Singalila National Park also boasts of having nineteen varieties of Rhododendron and more than two hundred species of Birds and mammals, making it one of the best preserved Bio Diversity Parks in India.
Sandakphu Phalut Trek – Best Time to Trek
From March to May, trekkers can enjoy thousands of Rhododendron and wild flower blooms along with the huge varieties of Birds. These will compensate for the loss in the mountain views.
While a Trek from October to December will find clear skies with beautiful Himalayan Scenery for one to capture.
How hard is Darjeeling Singalila Trek ?
Sandakphu Phalut Trek is moderate grade trek with no technical difficulties from 1981m at Manebhanjyang to 3636m at Sandakphu. After having said that it is important to note that you do need a certain amount of fitness to embark on the Singalila Trek and a day of acclimatization in Manebhanjyang or Darjeeling is advisable.
Trekkers carry their day pack only with their personal items in them & walk at their own pace. Main baggage will be carried by porters/ponies.
Can the Sandakphu Phalut Trek itinerary be customized to suit my needs ?
Fondly called Darjeeling Singalila Trek, the itinerary can be customized as per one’s need. For the adventurous and as well for those looking to do a quiet private Singalila Trek we do organize Camping Treks, replete with our own Kitchen, Dining and Toilet tents.
For a single Trekker what I do I do ?
Join a group on the Group Departure Dates mentioned. We have groups for the Sandakphu Phalut Trek leaving at intervals and you can be a part of a group that is appropriate to your needs.
Is Darjeeling Singalila Trek safe for Trekkers ?
Trekking is an adventure and certain amount of Risk is involved in every adventure. But the Darjeeling Singalila Trek is safe to trek as it is a moderate to easy trek and the highest point on the trek is only 3636m at Sandakphu. On an average you will also be trekking about 10Km in a day.
We at Farouttrek we have experienced Guides and other support team to help you out in times of crisis and our itinerary is also planned to make your trek as comfortable as possible. Evacuation is done by Four wheel drive vehicles in extreme cases. But on the whole It is safe to Trek in the Singalila Ridge.
- Type of Tour: Day Hike & Jeep Tour
- Total No. of Days: 10 Days.
- Minimum No. of Persons: 2 Persons.
- Starting & Ending Point: Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail station/Nepal Border.
- Best Season: March-June & October-December.
- Tour Availability: Join a Group on the Dates Shown below
- Customized private tours can be arranged for a minimum of 2person on request on a date of your Choice.
- Itinerary given below is a sample to give you a general Idea.
- Itinerary can be customized as per one’s need.
Group Departure Dates for Darjeeling Singalila Trek 2021
|08th.Feb – 17th.Feb, 2021||22nd.Feb – 2nd.March, 2021|
|07th.March – 16th.March, 2021||28th.March – 06th.April, 2021|
|04th.April – 13th.April, 2021||18th.April – 27th.April, 2021|
|02nd..May – 11th.May, 2021||16th.May – 25th..May, 2021|
|18th.Sept – 27th.Sept, 2021||02nd.Oct – 11th.Oct, 2021|
|16th.Oct – 25th.Oct, 2021||06th.Nov – 15th.Nov, 2021|
|27th.Nov – 06th.Dec, 2021||11th.Dec – 20th.Dec, 2021|
|21st.Dec – 30th.Dec, 2021(Christmas Trek)|
DARJEELING SANDAKPHU PHALUT TREK ITINERARY
Day 1: Arrive at Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station / Nepal Border. Drive to Darjeeling (90Km/3Hrs). On your arrival our representative will meet and drive you to Darjeeling. Overnight Hotel (B/B only).
Day 2: Acclimatization Day. Overnight Hotel / Homestay (B/B only).
A walking tour of Darjeeling. Walk down to the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute housed inside the Padmaji Naidu Zoological Park. The Institute is dedicated to mountaineering activities in the Indian and Nepal Himalayas. They even have a special section dedicated to the Mount Everest.
Visit the Tibetan Refugee Centre, a popular center for Tibetan Carpets, woven from Yak and Sheep wool, Thanka Paintings and host of small local items. Evening free to explore Darjeeling Town. Take a stroll at the Mall or visit Glenary’s a bakery shop for a sip of Darjeeling Tea. Overnight Homestay or Hotel.
Day 3: Drive to Maneybhanjyang (1981m/1Hr). Darjeeling Singalila Trek Starts. Trek to Tongloo / Tumling (3001m/13Km/6Hrs).
After an early breakfast drive to Indo-Nepal border town of MANNEYBHANJAN, 2134m/7,000ft-20km away. After all the entry formalities are over start the Trek to Tongloo or Tumling. You will be starting your 1500m climb to your first day’s destination TUMLING 9500ft, 12.5km away, going along the TONGLU Ridge. Overnight Lodge /Trekkers Hut (All meals included).
The 7 hrs trek is covered as follows:
- Maney Bhanjyang (1981m) to Chitre (2800m)- Steep uphill of 02 Km in 02hrs. You get beautiful panoramic views of Darjeeling and Siliguri from Chitray.
- Chitre to Meghma (2900m)- Easy undulating 06 Km in 03 hrs.
- Meghma to Tonglu Top(3070m)- Easy undulating 03 Km in 1.30 hrs.
Day 4: Trek Tongloo to Kalpokhari (3100m/15Km/5Hrs). Overnight Lodge( All meals included).
During its first two hours or so, after an easy down hill trek you come to JAUBARI 2750m 4km away, followed by another easy downhill trek of 5km to a little resting place in GARIBAS 2620m/ before you start the fairly steep 6 km trek of 4 hrs or so to Kalpokhri, 2950m/9679 feet. After the first thirty minutes of brisk walk, through thick deciduous forests, you find a tea shop at Kayakatta, on the Nepal Side of the Road. The route continues uphill to KALAPOKHRI, where they have a black water lake (Pokhri), which does not freeze even in winter.
- Tumling (2900m) to Jaubari (2750m) – Easy 4km down hill trek of 1hr. 30mins.
- Jaubari (2750m) to Gairibas (2620m)- Easy 5km down hill trek of 2hrs.
- Garibas (2620) to Kayaktta (2900m)- Fairly steep 2 km.
- Kayaktta to Kalpokhari (2950m) – Easy trek of 2 hrs.
Day 5: Trek Kalpokhari to Sandakphu(3636m/6Km/3Hrs). Overnight Trekkers Hut.
You will not like to miss out on the panoramic view of the snow peaks from Sandakphu, which is best seen early in the morning. An early start from here will give you a chance to view the snow peaks twice, once as soon as you reach Sandakphu and again next morning before you start your return or onward trek. Overnight Trekkers Hut/Lodge (All meals included).
Day 6: Trek Sandakphu to Phalut (3480m/22Km-7Hrs). Overnight Trekkers Hut.
Wake up at 4:30 am to catch the 180 Degree sunrise view of Everest and Kanchenjunga Range from the view Point at Sandakphu . Return back to the Lodge for Breakfast. After breakfast trek Sandakphu to Phalut . This is the most pristine and the best part of the Sandakphu Phalut Trek offering great views of Kanchenjunga and Everest Range. Trek from Sandakphu to Phalut via Sabargram is very gentle through endless meadows with with the looming Himalayan mountains accompanying you all the way from Sandakphu to Phalut.
Day 7: Trek Phalut to Ramam. Overnight Lodge ( All meals included).
Early morning trek to Phalut Top for sunrise views of the mountain range. After breakfast start the Trek to Ramam.
Phalut to Gorkhay Trek is approximately 15Km downhill over undulating mountain path through thick bamboo groves, Oak and walnut forest. Gorkhay is a small agricultural village on the periphery of the Singalila National Park close to the border with Sikkim and this is where we stop for our lunch break.
After lunch the eight Kilometer trek from Gorkhay to Ramam winds through the small village of Samamdin and through thick forest through a fairly uphill path till Ramam (2490 m / 8,500ft).
- Phalut to Gorkhay(2350m) Easy 15Km downhill trek through dense Bamboo and Silver pine forest.
- Gorkhay to Samamdin-Slight uphill 1.5 Km to Samamdin.
- Samamdin to Ramam(2490m)- Fairly 6.5Km uphill trek through dense forest till Ramam. Trekking Time: 6-7 Hour.
Day 8: Trek Ramam to Timburey(2300m/10Km-3Hrs). Overnight Home Stay.
The Trek to Timburey is an easy trek of about ten kilometer through small villages. You will be passing through terraced vegetable fields up to Timburey our destination for the night. Overnight Home stay( All meals included).
Day 9: Trek to Rimbik (2331m/18Km). End of the Singalila Trek . Drive to Darjeeling. Hotel/Home Stay(B/B only).
The three hours Trek to Rimbik passes through dense forest known as the black forest due to its dense vegetation. The Darjeeling Sandakphu Phalut Trek ends in Rimbik with a three hour drive to Darjeeling via Dhottrey & Maneybhanjyang. Timburey to Rimbik(2331m)–10Km easy trek through black forest till Rimbik. Overnight Hotel / Home Stay(B/B only).
Day10: Drive to Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rail Station/Nepal border for Final Departure. End of Darjeeling Singalila Trek. Extension can be made to Bhutan, Sikkim or Nepal.
- Darjeeling Sandakphu Phalut Trek Cost : US$790 / PERSON
- Indian Nationals Kindly enquire for quote in Indian Rupees
Sandakphu Phalut Trek Cost Includes :
- Hotel accommodation – twin share including breakfasts.
- Twin share Rooms in Lodges with mattress during Trekking.
- Fully organized trek services with guide, porters, Ponies.
- All fixed three meals everyday during trekking.
- All road transport as per itinerary by car/jeep.
- Service of an English speaking guide.
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Sleeping bag; personal clothing/equipment.
- Lunches and dinners during hotel stays.
- Bottled or alcoholic drinks.
- Tips, client insurance, evacuation costs.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
Note: The above given Darjeeling Singalila Trek itinerary is a sample intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of the trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
(All relevant Terms & Conditions apply).