Gokyo Trek – A Trek to the valley of Five Emerald Lakes
Gokyo Trek leads to Gokyo village located on the shores of the biggest of the Gokyo Lakes, Gokyo Cho or Dudh Pokhari. Also, known as Gokyo Lakes Trek, it is a trek into the most scenic valley in the entire Everest Region, which can aptly be called,” An amphitheatre for rugged views of the Himalayas”. A beautiful valley surrounded by high mountains of the Everest Range and the valley floor decorated with crystal clear blue waters of the five Gokyo lakes.
Gokyo Lakes trek in Nepal starts with a thirty minutes scenic mountain flight to Lukla, then followed by a trek to Phakding or a further trek to Jorsalley. Gokyo Ri Trek involves trekking through Namche Bazaar, capital of Khumbu Region and through ethnic Sherpa villages of Khumjung, Dole, Machhermo, Lundeng and Thame.
On this Gokyo Trek, hike through beautiful Sherpa Villages, Rhododendron forests and suspension bridges decorated with Buddhist flags fluttering in the never ending cascade of the Himalayan wind.
Highlights of the Gokyo Trek
Main highlights of the Gokyo lakes trek includes climbing Gokyo Ri, a small hill above Gokyo Village, before sunrise for once in a lifetime glimpse of the mountain view. The horizon painted with four highest mountains in the world, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Cho Oyu and down below the five emerald Gokyo Lakes and the Ngozumpa Glacier flowing behind, a sight to humble you.
Take a Day Hike
From Gokyo take a day hike along the valley floor and discover the five sacred Gokyo lakes. Enjoy Great views of Everest, Cho Oyu, Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu and a host of smaller mountains, especially during sunrise from Gokyo Ri (5360m) and Ngozumba Tse also known as Knobby View Point ( 5550m) north of the 5th lake.
Gokyo Lakes Trek – Trek Grade
After having said that, it is to be remembered that Gokyo Trek is a moderately strenuous, high altitude trek but perfect for those looking to do a trail that is less crowded. Gokyo Valley is less crowded and less commercialized than it’s neighbour, the regular Everest Base Camp Trek.
Type of Trek
Gokyo Trek is a Tea House Trek. Accommodation will be provided in lodges run by local families, though the lodges are few and basic as compared to the lodges on the regular Everest Base Camp Trek.
Participants carry their day pack only with their personal items in them. Main baggage will be carried by the Porters. Baggage of each person should not weigh more than 15Kgs.
April- May is the best time to trek to Gokyo when the climate is just right. October to November is another good season to go on the Gokyo trek when the skies are clear for the spectacular mountain views.
Trek Facts :
- Trek starts: Lukla.
- Ending Point: Lukla.
- Trek duration: 19Days.
- Trek Grade: Moderate to strenuous.
- Maximum altitude: Gokyo Ri (5357m).
- Maximum Sleeping Altitude: Gokyo (4750m).
- Minimum group size: 2pax.
- Trek style: Tea House/Lodge Trek.
Gokyo Lakes Trek Itinerary
Day 01: Fly Kathmandu to Lukla. Trek to Phakding (2835m / 3 hours). Overnight Lodge.
Day 02: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440m/5-6 hours). Overnight Lodge.
Day 03: Rest and acclimatization day with optional hikes around Namche. Overnight Lodge.
Day 04:Trek to Dole (4200m/5-6 hours). Overnight Lodge.
The trail starts with a gentle uphill trail to a viewpoint that offers spectacular views of Thamserku and Amadablam above Namche Bazaar. Slowly Trek down to the fields of Dole, a Small Village.
Day 05: Trek to Machermo (4470m/5 hours). Overnight Lodge.
Trek to Machermo is a gentle and steady climb above the tree line that follows the Dudh Kosi River.
Day 06: Trek to Gokyo (4750m /4 hours). Overnight Lodge.
Trek to Gokyo is a gentle trek arriving just in time for lunch into one of the most scenic village in the entire Gokyo Valley.
Day 07: Climb Gokyo Ri Peak (5,357m/3-4 hours). Overnight Lodge. Early Morning climb a top the hill at Gokyo Ri for spectacular views of Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu and Makalu, four of the highest peaks in the world. View from Gokyo Ri is mesmerising, with the horizon filled with jagged snow clad mountains and below the sight of the Nzogumpa Glacier and the Gokyo Lakes.After breakfast trek along the Gokyo valley to the fifth lake.
Day 08:Trek to Renjo-La Pass ( 5360m/2Hrs) to Lumde (4380m/7-8 hours). Overnight Lodge.
A strenuous day of trekking besides the dudh Pokhari River and takes two hours trek to Renjo- La Pass. Enjoy the stunning views of the Everest and Gokyo Lakes. From here the route dips down through a narrow valley to the small village of Lumde.
Day 09:Trek to Thame (3440/6-7 hours). Overnight Lodge. An hours trek downhill takes us to Marlung (4249m) on the east bank of Bhote Koshi, which is the largest village in Thame Valley. Marlung is a common stoppage with a few tea shops on the Gokyo Trek. Another five hours of trekking takes us to our stop for the night at Thame Village.
Day 10:Trek Thame to Monjo. (2835m/5-6 hours). Overnight Lodge.
Day 11: Trek to Lukla. Overnight Lodge
Day 12: Fly Back to Kathmandu. End of Gokyo Lake Trek
- Gokyo Trek Cost : US$ 950 per person
- Kathmandu – Lukla-Kathmandu Airfare : US$328 per person
- Kathmandu – Lukla-Kathmandu Airfare for Indian Nationals : IRs.13,000/Person
- Airfare is Extra as applicable & is subject to change without prior notice.
- Indian Nationals kindly enquire within for quotes in Indian Rupees.
TREK COST INCLUDES:
- Trek guide, porter/s to carry luggage.
- Lodge accommodation(twin share rooms).
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner During the entire period of the Trek.
- Trek permit Fees.
- TIMS Fees.
- Sagarmatha National Park Fees.
- Contribution to guide transport.
- Guide/porter insurance costs.
- Domestic flight cost extra as applicable.
- COST DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Hotel Stays in Kathmandu.
- Domestic flight cost extra as applicable(Kathmandu – Lukla – Kathamandu ).
- Sleeping bag (can be hired in Kathmandu).
- Personal clothing /equipment.
- Meals in Kathmandu.
- Client insurance of any kind.
- Cost of evacuation (if any)in Case of emergency.
- Bottled/alcoholic drinks.
- Tea/coffee – other than at breakfast.
- Airport taxes;
- Expenses of personal nature
—– o0o —–
Our trek price includes basic rooms in local trekkers lodges which have simple 2 bedded rooms with common toilets/showers. In some places like Lukla, Namache and Kumjung some newly upgraded lodges have rooms with attached toilets-showers but this will cost extra (about US$ 20-30 per room per night). Some lodges now offer even better rooms but can cost even more.
—– o0o —–
NEPAL TOURIST VISA
- Nepal visa is readily available on arrival at the International Airport in Kathmandu and all other entry points to Nepal.
- 2 passport photos will be required.
- Single Entry visa: US$ 30 per visa (valid for 60 days).
- Multiple Entry visa: US$ 80 per visa (valid for 150 days).
- Nepal Visas are also available in all Nepalese Embassies and Consulates.
- No Visa is required for Indian Citizens to Travel in Nepal
—– o0o —–
Recommendation : Gokyo Trek is relatively strenuous and demands top physical form. Physical fitness check-up is a must. Even the experienced trekker should prepare for 2-3 months prior to the Trek.
Note: The above given Everest Base Camp Gokyo Ri Trek itinerary is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of the trip participants’ safety, comfort and general well being.
(All relevant terms and conditions apply).