The most Stunning trekking trail in Sikkim Himalayas
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek also known among the trekking fraternity as Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek is a thirteen days trek that offers spectacular views of the Everest and Kanchenjunga Range in it’s best form from Dafe Bhir Pass. A trek that starts from the Singalila Ridge in Sikkim and crosses over on to the Dzongri Ridge. When viewed from above 4000m at Dafe Bhir Pass, the 150Km trail of the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim seems to trace the outline of an Eagle in flight.
With miles of dense forests and pristine Himalayan Trekking trails that have been left largely untouched by outsiders, Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim is one of the world’s most underrated trail to trek. Also, Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek offers experiences that rival those hugely popular treks offered in the Nepal Himalayas.
Experience the solitude of the Sikkim Himalayas
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim allows you to sample more of the wilder side of Sikkim than it’s people. Better attempted in the month of May and October when there’s little snow at Dafeybhir Pass and high camping grounds. The Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek gives you a raw experience of having trekked in the most beautiful part of Sikkim Himalayas.
For those who find the this trek a bit too long could try the eight days Goechala Pass Trek.
What to look out for
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek also known as the Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek is a trek that every trekker dreams of doing. But hikers on this trek should be prepared for plenty of elevation gain and loss, along with stunning panoramas of the Himalayas.
While approaching Dafebhir Pass the first peak that you see is Makalu. This is also the place to look out for as the pass can get blocked due to heavy snowfall. But once on the pass, the panaromic view of the Everest and Kanchenjunga Range will amaze you.
A solitary Trek
This section of the Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim isn’t as frequently traversed as other areas of the park, so is best suited for experienced hikers who prefer a more solitary experience. Best part about this trek is, you can trek for days without seeing a glimpse of any human being, besides your own small trekking group.
An off beat Trek with Beautiful Mountain Scenery
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is very well known for great mountain views, lakes, trekking off the map and wilderness. Trekkers who venture on this trek enter a world of pristine wild scenery making each step more beautiful than the last.
But the reward is the chance to trek far beyond not touched by the modern world and human civilization. Through dense forests and high Himalayan trails that will awe even jaded outdoor enthusiasts.
How hard is this Trek in Sikkim ?
With a series of ascents and descents to high altitudes through some of the most hostile trekking environments and that too in the most remote part of Sikkim Himalayas this trek is definitely recommended for experienced hikers.
Best time to visit
April – May is a good time to trek when the Park is alight with different varieties of flowering plants and the high meadows filled with wild flower blooms. October to November is another season recommended for this trek when the area around are crisp and fresh and the horizon clear for great mountain views.
Kind Of Trek
Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim is a camping Trek as no settlements are allowed inside the Kanchenjunga National Park.
What to Bring ?
- All you need to bring is your personal clothing and a Sleeping Bag with you.
- Twin Share sleeping Tents with mattress, Dining Tent, Kitchen Tent and a Toilet Tent will be provided for the entire duration of the Trek.
- A cook and his helpers will cook and provide food for the Participants and as well for the entire support team.
- Sherpa’s will be in charge of the tents.
- Ponies or Yaks will be used in most cases to to carry food Items, Camping materials and the baggage of the participants.
- We use paraffin stove and paraffin as fuel to cook food.
- Type of Trek : Camping Trek
- Minimum No. of Participants Required : 2 Persons
- Trek Grade : Moderate to Strenuous
- No. of Days on the Trek : 14Days
- Total No. of Days : 19Days
- Highest Point : Goechala Pass – 4990m
- Highest Camp Site: Pangdin – 4210m
- Starting & Ending Point: Bagdogra Airport / NJP Rail Station / Nepal Border
- Group Departure Dates : No Group Departures are available for Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek . Only private trek for a minimum of Two Persons can be arranged on a date of your choice
SIKKIM KANCHENJUNGA BASE CAMP TREK ITINERARY:
DAY 1 : Arrive at Bagdogra Airport. Drive to Gangtok (4Hrs Drive). Overnight Hotel(B/B only).
DAY 2 : A Day in Gangtok.
After breakfast drive to Rumtek Monastery,23Km from Gangtok. The monastery built in the Year 1959 by the 16th.Gyalwa Karmapa is the replica of the Tsurpu Monastery in Kham in Tibet & is the biggest monastery in Sikkim. Rumtek monastery is the seat of the Kagyu sect or the black hat sect of Tibetan Buddhism which also houses the School for the monks. Visit the Institute of Tibetology which contains some ancient Buddhist Scriptures and artifacts. In the mean time our staff will process the Trekking Permits. Overnight Hotel (B/B only).
DAY 3 : Drive Gangtok to Uttaray ( 2100m/5-6Hrs. Drive). Overnight Lodge.
DAY 4 : Sikkim Kanchenjunga Trek Starts. Trek to Chewabhanjyang ( 3200m/14Km/5-6 Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 5 : Acclimatization Day. Side Trek to Singalila Pass. Overnight Tents.
DAY 6 : Trek to Gairi (3600m/10.5Km). Overnight Tents. Overnight Tents.
Day 7 : Trek Gairi to Dhond (3900m / 9Km). Overnight Tents.
Day 8 : Trek Dhond to Paharae Megu (3800m/12Km /7hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 9: Trek Paharae Megu to Lam Pokhari (4100m/11Km/5Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 10: Trek Lam Pokhari to Gomathang (3543m/9Km/4Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 11 : Trek Gomathang to Pangdin(4210m/14Km/6-7Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 12 : Trek Pangdin to Ghattey Khola (3900m/9Km/4Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 13 : Trek Ghattey Khola to Dzongri (4030m/8Km/4Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 14 : Rest Day in Dzongri. Overnight Tents.
Day 15 : Trek Dzongri to Lamunee (4164m/11Km/5-6Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 16 : Trek to Goechala Pass view point and back to Kookrochoong (14Km/6-7Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 17 : Trek Kookrochoong to Tchoka (2975m/15Km/6Hrs). Overnight Tents.
Day 18 : Trek Tchoka to Yuksom (1760m/13Km/6Hrs). Overnight Lodge ( Breakfast & Lunch is included).
DAY 19 : Drive to Bagdogra Airport for Final Departure.
After early breakfast will start 198Km(6Hrs) Drive to Bagdogra Airport. End of Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek in Sikkim
—– o0o —–
SIKKIM KANCHENJUNGA BASE CAMP TREK COST: US$1520 per Person.
—– o0o —–
SIKKIM KANCHENJUNGA BASE CAMP TREK COST INCLUDES :
- Hotel accommodation – Twin share including breakfasts.
- Twin share Rooms in Lodge in Yuksom .
- Twin Share Accommodation in Tents while on the Trek.
- Fully organized trek services with guide, porters, Ponies, Tents etc.
- All fixed three meals everyday during trekking.
- All road transport as per itinerary by car/jeep.
- Service of an English speaking guide.
- Entrance fees to monuments visited.
- Kanchenjunga National Park Fees.
- All Permits for Sikkim & Darjeeling.
DOES NOT INCLUDE :
- Sleeping bag; personal clothing/equipment.
- Lunches and dinners during hotel stays.
- Bottled or alcoholic drinks.
- Tips, client insurance, evacuation costs.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
—– o0o —–
NOTE: The above itinerary is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, Physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of the trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
NOTE: This is a strenuous & high altitude Camping trek through the most uninhabited part of Sikkim. Average camp sites are at an average altitude of 4000m and is therefore meant for seasoned and experienced trekkers only. A Physical check up is mandatory.