Ghorepani Poonhill Trek – a short moderate Trek in Nepal Himalayas
Why Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek ?
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is undoubtedly the easiest and the most popular trek in Nepal Himalayas, well tailored for those looking for a shorter & a easier trekking holiday. Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek does not require any experience in trekking & can be undertaken by first time trekkers. Categorized as an easy trek the Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek works well for those who are short on time and also for those who find high altitude of Annapurna Base Camp Trek or the Annapurna Circuit Trek a little daunting. Moreover, Ghorepani Poonhill trek can be done in under a week, with time to take in the culture and sights of Nepal.
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek starts with a drive from Kathmandu and ends in Pokhara. Most Trekkers start the trek from Pokhara, spending a night or two in Pokhara. Spending a night in Pokhara will also help in the acclimitization process. One can either drive back or fly back to Kathmandu. One can also extend the Trek with a wildlife safari at Chitwan or a white water rafting or a day of gliding which is popular in Pokhara.
Highlights of the Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek
Poonhill situated just below the great himalayan range is famous for 360degree views of the Annapurna & Dhaulagiri Range and also for ethnic communities and traditional villages. Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is generally Altitude Sickness Free as it reaches a maximum of altitude of 3210m only at Poonhill. Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek offers great photo oppurtunities as it offers constant views of Annapurna & Dhaulagiri Range throughout the Trekking Trail.
What is the best time to Visit Poonhill ?
Poonhill Trek can be done anytime of the year, though March to May are preferred as the temeprature becomes mild and the valley floors and the mountain side will be filled with colorful flowers. September to November is also the best time to go on the Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek not only because of mild weather but for clear skies and wonderful mountain views.
How Hard is Ghorepani Poonhill Trek ?
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is an easy to moderate Trek that ascents to a maximum trekking Altitude of 3210m at Poon Hill. Participants carry their day pack only with their personal Items in them. Main Baggage will be carried by Porters.
What Kind Trek is Poonhill Trek ?
Ghorepani Poonhill Trek is a Tea House / Lodge Trek in the Annapurna Region of Nepal Himalayas. Accommodation will be provided in lodges run by local Families. Local Vegetarian Food v.i.z. Dal, Bhat(Rice) and Vegetable curry will be provided in all the lodges and tea houses along the trek route. Other than the local food these lodges also can prepare food items on demand.
Is it possible to do this trek in the reverse manner ?
Poonhill Trek can be done starting from Birethanti and end the Trek in Phedi or in Ghandruk. From Ghandruk on can drive back to Pokhara. The drive from Ghandruk to Pokhara takes approximately three hours.
NOTE : With the motorable roads being built in these areas the Ghorepani Poonhill Trek can be shortened to a great extent. One can drive from Pokhara to Ghandruk a four hours drive. Stay overnight in Ghandruk and start the trek from Ghandruk. From Ghorepani one has the option of trekking till ulleri and a drive back to Pokhara. This will entail a total of three days Trek only.
- Trek Grade: Easy to Moderate
- Duration: 7Nights & 8Days
- Maximum Sleeping Altitude: 1950/ 6527ft.(Ghandruk)
- Maximum Hiking Altitude: 3210m/10,528ft(Poon Hill)
- Best Season : January-May & October – December
- Trek Availibility: Join a Group Dates Shown Below(Ex Kathmandu).
Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek Itinerary
Day 1 : Drive Kathmandu to Pokhara to Overnight Hotel in Pokhara(B/B only).
Day 2: Drive to Phedi . Ghorepani Poonhill Trek starts. Trek to Pothana (1700m).
Driving Time Pokhara to Phedi: 45 Minutes. T rekking Time:3 Hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 3: Trek to Landruk(1620m). Trekking Time:6Hrs -7Hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 4: Trek to Gandruk(1990m). Trekking Time:3 Hrs – 4 hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 5: Trek to Banthanti. Trekking Time:6hrs – 7 hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 6: Trek to Ghorepani(2870m). Trekking Time:4-5 hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 7: Early morning climb to Poon Hill (3210m) for sunrise views of
Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges. After breakfast trek to Tirkedunga(1500m).
Trekking Time: 4Hrs – 5 hrs. Overnight Lodge.
Day 8: Trek to Birethanti(1000m). Drive to Pokhara. End of Ghorepani Poonhill Trek. Overnight Hotel (B/B only). Trekking Time: 2Hrs
—– o0o —–
- Costs: US$640 per Person
- Indian Trekkers Kindly enquire within for costs in Indian Rupees
—– o0o —–
TREK COST – INCLUDES
- Transport in Tourist Bus( Kathmandu to Pokhara).
- Basic accommodation at local lodges on twin sharing basis.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) included for the duration of the trek.
- Services of experienced English speaking local trekking guide.
- Porters to carry luggage while on trek (1 porter for 2 persons).
- Insurance for trekking staff, guides, porters etc.,
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) fees/National Park entrance fees & TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System) registration fees.
- Departure Tax where applicable (domestic/international flights).
- Domestic Kathmandu/Pokhara/Kathmandu airfare (if requested by clients).
- Transport from Pokhara to Kathmandu at the end of the Trek.
- Travel/Trekking/Medical insurance.
- Rescue operations by helicopter.
- Excess baggage charges.
- Mineral water, boiled drinking water, soft drinks and any alcoholic beverages, tips and any personal expenses.
- Nepal Visa Fees.
- Any services in Kathmandu/Nepal (hotels, transport, etc.).
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu.
- Hotel accommodation in Pokhara at the End of the Trek.
- Any cost arising from political disturbances, strikes, cancellation of flights, deviation in program, delays due to landslides/ road blockage, or otherwise.
—– o0o —–
NEPAL TOURIST VISA
- Nepal visa is readily available on arrival at the International Airport in Kathmandu and all other entry points to Nepal.
- 2 passport photos will be required.
- Single Entry visa: US$ 30 per visa (valid for 60 days).
- Multiple Entry visa: US$ 80 per visa (valid for 150 days).
- Nepal Visas are also available in all Nepalese Embassies and Consulates.
- Visa is not required for Indian Nationals to Travel inside Nepal. Indian Nationals will need to bring with them Valid Identification Card / Document. These can be the following : a). Voters ID Card (b). Passport (c). Adhar Card.
—– o0o —–
Note: The above itinerary is a sample, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, physical ability of participants,etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before departure or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change this schedule in the interest of trip participant’s safety, comfort and general well being.
(All Relevant Terms & Conditions apply).